Remember Rosie the robot in The Jetson’s? With today’s home automation and security systems we are getting closer and closer to having our own Rosie! These systems can keep out unwelcome visitors, let you know when the kids get home from school, shut the garage door behind you, adjust your home thermostat to the temperature you like, turn on the hot tub heater and warn you if a hurricane or tornado is headed for your home.
The newest systems integrate security, lighting, thermostats and family communication with high-tech features like fingerprint and facial-recognition devices. When you're away from home, you connect to the system using a smartphone, tablet or other device.
Among the features you can now get in a home security and automation system:
1. Wireless cameras that let you see what the kids are up to or keep an eye on frail parents
2. A Wi-Fi connection that prevents burglars from snipping wires to turn off your system
3. Traffic information, family messages and programmable reminders
4. Remote-controlled shades you can open or close with your smartphone
5. Biometric fingerprint and facial-recognition for people who don't want to remember pass codes
6. The ability to let certain people enter your home on a particular day or time
7. Light fixtures that turn themselves on when a burglar trips the alarm
8. Digital door locks you can open remotely if friends show up when you're not home
Now, if only the system could get dinner on the table!