I am frequently asked, "is this property in a flood zone?". To my surprise, Florida is not one of the top 10 states to file a flood insurance claim!
National Flood Insurance Program Statistics:
- Floods are the #1 most common natural disaster in the United States.
- Over the past 10 years (2001-2010) the average flood insurance claim paid in the US was nearly $48,000 per year.
- Over the past 10 years (2001-2010), flood insurance claims averaged just over $2.6 billion.
- The average flood insurance policy is about $600 per year.
- People outside of high-risk areas file over 20% of NFIP claims and receive one-third of disaster assistance for flooding.
- The NFIP paid $709 million in flood insurance claims to homeowners, business owners, and renters in 2010.
State: Total Number of 2010 Claims
New Jersey 4,690
New York 2,210
Rhode Island 1,445
North Carolina 1,104